It has been far too long since I last updated all you wonderful readers. I am at that first temp job I did reception cover for, back in September. It is much quieter today then it was the last time I was here. And what better way to make the last couple of hours go by then finally get back to writing on here.
Since you last read I have been lucky enough to celebrate Thanksgiving again, on Thanksgiving Thursday! Gabe the Australian and Liz the American a lovely couple I know from London have recently moved to Melbourne. I was out with them about three weeks ago for a bit of a bar hop through Fitzroy. It was in the mist of the hop that Liz asked if I was doing anything for Thanksgiving. I explained I had been lucky enough to already celebrate upon which she asked me if I would like to celebrate again! How could I turn down such a kind offer? Especially as I had been to her Friendsgiving party last year in London and was wowed by her cooking and baking efforts! To seal the deal we would be going out to Gabe’s parents place in country Victoria about three hours from the city! And so it was Thanksgiving and time to celebrate again. This time I would be making green bean casserole something I had never had or made before. It was incredibly easy to make and I thought tasted okay. Gabe’s mother did an outstanding job on the turkey and Liz’s grandmothers stuffing recipe! Gabe’s sister attempted her first sweet potato dish which was incredible. She also brought some fresh beef from her farm for those who did not like turkey. All of it was so tasty. Dessert was a particularly spectacular round with homemade apple pie, pumpkin pie and cherry jam cookies all made by Liz. Gabe’s mother also made my new obsession something called a pineapple snap! It is basically pineapple, cream and crumbled cookies. Tasty and oh so good! It was a very memorable meal with many thumbs up from the Australians! The following day Liz, Gabe and I headed out to a wildlife centre for a unique afternoon. Once there we were able to feed many, many animals! This included kangaroo (!!!), emu (sassiest birds you will ever meet), deer, rabbits and possums. The icing on the cake was when we had the opportunity to cuddle and hold a 6 month old koala! Photographic evidence is way over due and I will get to putting them up soon, I promise! After these magical encounters we went to a local country town opshop (thrift store/ charity shop) where I picked up a wonderful blouse for $2. Later that day we headed back to the hustle and bustle of Melbourne. It was a wonderful escape from the city and I look forward to going back out again in the next seven months.
That weekend I went to the choral pop concert I talked about in my last entry. A friend of a friend from Amsterdam was performing. It was all music about ‘Real Men’. It was a fun afternoon and included a free glass of champagne upon arrival. That evening I went to go meet a very old friend from London that I had not seen since our last reunion in New York City in the winter of 2005. He was in Melbourne on his way to move to Japan. You all may think I travel but this man has me beat! We met up for many, many jugs of beer. It was as always great to see him and I look forward to working out where we meet next!
Last week I applied for about 101 jobs and had an interview with another recruitment agency. I am basically getting the same answer from everybody. It is not a good time to be looking for work. They will have better prospects for me in the new year and so on. Also the company I had been previously doing the long term temp role with gave very positive feedback to my recruiter who got me the job. That has to help some right!
Last weekend I volunteered at the Scandinavian Christmas bazaar! I had never been to the Swedish church here in Melbourne before. It is in a very swanky neighbourhood, on a very posh street and is very, very impressive! The grounds are massive it even has a swimming pool! And there were just over 100 Scandinavian stalls. The friend I brought with who works for a German cultural institute was bowled over by the fair too! I sadly did not do any shopping as everything was quite expensive. I did treat myself though to an open faced sandwich and a cinnamon role! As for my actual clowning duties it involved a very goofy costume and handing out free candy, nothing too challenging! The following day I went to my first Christmas party of the season at one of the members of the book club. Her house is made for socializing with lots of open space. I had a really good time and hope she hosts more parties in the future.
This week has seen me temping here for two days and hanging out with friends visiting from London. Monday I went to a friend of a friend’s barbecue. I suppose I can safely call her my friend now too as we have socialised a few times. She is a Brit who came out here on the working holiday visa and has landed herself some sponsorship! Monday was a celebration of her first year in Australia. We were along the Yarra River which has public barbecue facilities. Great concept if you ask me! Wednesday night Liz, Gabe and my friend from London and I went to Transvestite Bingo! Sadly the hostess does not dress up as much as she use to but still has a wicked sense of humour and I had a royal ball! I will definitely be taking future visitors there. Last night a few of my fellow Yanks and I went to a Christmas market near me which had lots of pretty things but nothing worth buying sadly. We had average Mexican food afterwards.
My time is really flying by here in the Southern Hemisphere. I can hardly wrap my head around it. There were a few periods in October when I thought I am for the most part happy out here. That has changed quite a bit in the last six weeks or so. I actually really, really like it out here. I don’t want to be out here forever but certainly longer then my one year visa allows me.
I hope you all enjoyed the update and I wish you all a wonderful weekend!!
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Friday, December 11, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
yay's all around!
ReplyDelete