Friday, November 20, 2009

Unfortunately my predictions from my last blog for the most part were true. Last Friday work said that the busy period has come to an end and they won't need me full time anymore. They had me come in one day this week and as of right now am needed two days next week. As you can imagine this is not nearly enough to keep me going so I am actively looking for new work. I am hoping with 9 weeks of experience at an Australian company now that will help. Thankfully last weeks work will pay this months rent which is great! I love paying my rent in Australian dollars versus dipping into my British savings!

Thanksgiving last weekend was a huge success! We started with a cocktail hour at about two. The Canadian couple brought a block of brie which they dressed in sun dried tomatoes and put it in the oven for 10 minutes. Once it hit gooey perfection we dipped crackers into it. Um yes just as good as it sounds. Around four we sat down for dinner and all the food was so, so good! My 16 hour marinated in honey sweet potatoes were a success! After dinner I took a turkey induced nap! After a refreshing sleep we played this crazy board game that went on for hours. We had a blast! Oh and of course enjoyed homemade pumpkin and pecan pie! Sadly an after dinner swim did not happen. I am so glad I got to celebrate Thanksgiving out here with such lovely people and such scrumptious food.

I was out for one of the Swedish networking events on Wednesday. I can honestly say I spoke Swedish 90% of the evening! It was a really great feeling. I have also been roped in to volunteering my time and assistance at the Swedish Churches Christmas Bazaar! Something I am happy to do as I love all things Swedish Christmas! There is also a chance I will be playing the fool or well the clown for a few hours. Will keep you posted. Also the Church is hosting a Santa Lucia night and a Scandinavian Christmas Carol event too. I plan to go to both. Continuing on the Swedish theme I finished The Millennium Trilogy last week which I was devastated to finish. I am going to miss all the characters so much! Ohhhh and one last Swedish related thing. I finally saw Låt den rätte komma in (Let The Right One In) the other night. I am not a fan of horror films in general but had heard very good things about this and it certainly is not your traditional horror film. I am dreading the American remake next year.

Tonight I am going to be seeing the new Coen brother film with the other American girl from my book club. I ended up joining that retro film group I talked about in my last entry and will be using my membership tonight for the first time! She is taking me to a popular Thai restaurant in the CBD beforehand which I am looking forward to. Tomorrow I am going to be meeting up with some friends from London who just moved here (he is Australian, she is American) at a Spanish fiesta near me! Lots of live music and food stands. Looking forward to it as I love all food Latino! It will also be good to catch up with the friends as I have not seen them since they hosted a wonderful Friendsgiving last year. Later in the evening I am going to a potluck dinner that one of my Swedish friends is having. Not sure what I am making or contributing yet.

Next week is my second book club. I still have half of the book to finish. I am enjoying it somewhat but it is also so hard to read! I can't remember the last time a book took me so long to finish! A week from today I am finally meeting a friend of a friend for drinks at one of the many rooftop bars in the CBD. We have been Facebooking for sometime so it will be good to finally meet up. And then on the Saturday I am going to a gay choral pop concert with my friend Shane! Another friend of a friend is singing in that and will be good to meet him as he is involved with a lot of theatre out here and would like to pick his brain about it.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

5 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear about the job, but knowing you, you'll land on your feet in time. And guess what -- I'm writing a new play for Rosalind and her acting partner, Dotty Lawrence. And they'll produce it in the autumn (hopefully). Watch this (or rather my) space!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank yo uso much for your kind words! And YES the new play sounds fantastic already just from the casting alone!

    Coco

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Best of luck Kiki! i'm sure things will ramp up in the new year with something more interesting! maybe even a Swedish connection for work? :)
    What an awesome thanksgiving!
    I love your blogs

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Tsenye great to see you around here! I was actually lucky enough to celebrate Thanksgiving a second time on the actual day with Liz and Gabe. I will be posting about it soon :)

    ReplyDelete